Open a New Business
If you are considering opening a new business in Trappe Borough you will need to do the following to make sure your business opening will be successful. Trappe welcomes all new business and will work with you to make sure you have everything you need.
First, you will have to consider if your new business will require a “Conditional Use”. If you purchase an existing business that is approved for example Class 1 Retail but you plan to offer additional uses such personal services, then you will need to obtain conditional use approval before offering that service. For more information about Conditional Use procedure and requirements and to download the U&O application please click here.
All commercial properties in Trappe Borough require a Use & Occupancy Certificate before you may open your business. For more information on the Commercial Use & Occupancy procedure and requirements and to download the application please click here.
Before you make any alternations to the interior or exterior of your proposed new business please make sure that you obtain all necessary permits. If you are making any changes you may need one or more of the following permits: building permit; plumbing permit; electrical permit; mechanical permit; roof permit. Depending on what you plan to renovate you may also be required to obtain additional permits. You will need to have inspections performed by our Building Code Official for any and all permits. For more information about the permit process, scheduling an inspection or to download permit applications please click here.
Why Do Business in Trappe?
As a business owner, we know you have a choice as to where you locate your business. Trappe’s elected Council officials want you to know we welcome business to Trappe. Many of us have spent a considerable time working in business so we have a keen appreciation for many of your challenges. We know and deeply appreciate that businesses create jobs and who among us doesn’t know that this is a major challenge of our times?
Some other reasons we think you should consider Trappe are listed below:
- We are located at the intersection of Route 113 and Ridge Pike (W. Main Street), which provide access to Route 422. The Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (SEPTA) provides bus service along Ridge Pike from Norristown to Pottstown
- Our municipal tax rate is the 4th lowest out of the 62 municipalities in the County
- Our water and sewer rates are some of the lowest in the area, in part made possible by our debt free water, sewer and borough government entities
- We have emergency medical services and a volunteer fire company located in Trappe on W. 5th off of W. Main that have been enthusiastically serving for over 100 years
- We have three beautiful parks – Borough Hall (W. Main St.), Rambo (W. 5th) and Water Works (W. 1st Ave.)
- Dedicated volunteers provide an annual Trappe Community Day where you may introduce your business to the community
- Like many other communities in Pennsylvania, Trappe has adopted the Uniform Construction Code standard in order to enhance the safety and wellbeing of our community on a consistent and well documented basis
- Many buildings on Trappe’s historical Main Street would make attractive tearooms, cafes, bakeries, art/crafts and candy, antique, gift and home décor shops
- Lastly, Trappe Borough Council has an unquestioned focus on continuous improvement.
We certainly hope you locate your business in Trappe. As we approach our 300th anniversary in 2017, we look forward to working with you to make our community even better.