Trappe was settled in 1717 and formally incorporated as a borough in 1896. It is home to Augustus Lutheran Church, built in 1743 and a National Historic Landmark; the Henry Muhlenberg House, built c. 1750-55; and The Speaker’s House, home of Frederick Muhlenberg, built in 1763.
The Trappe 300 Steering Committee, a collaborative effort of many local non-profit organizations, is organizing the celebration of Trappe’s 300th anniversary in 2017. More information on special events, programs, and exhibitions is available at HistoricTrappe.org.
Today, Trappe Borough is home to more than 3,500 people, according to the most recent census. It encompasses 2.24 square miles and is located in central Montgomery County, about a one-hour drive from Philadelphia. While primarily a bedroom community, Trappe possesses modest agricultural, industrial, and commercial uses. Its Main Street is lined with dozens of colonial and Victorian houses, many of which house retail and specialty shops.
Borough government consists of an elected mayor and a seven-member council. A professional borough manager is responsible for day-to-day administration.